Home About Me About Us Contact Reads

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Thoughts from New England

Well I landed in Boston yesterday evening, and I'll be in the northeast until July 6.

I'm happy to be here but nervous, mostly because if Rob gets sent back to Santa Fe I might not get to see him before I go to Chicago for work.  Keep your fingers crossed for us please!

Anyhoo, here are some of my first impressions upon returning to the homeland:

1. Humidity.  WTF, mate? I've only been gone for four months so I can't say that it's all that hard to reacclimate, but it definitely was noticeable when I landed.  I complained a lot about the southwestern heat, but at least in New Mexico you can hide from the heat in the shade. Humidity, on the other hand, is everywhere and completely inescapable.

2. Lack of scary bugs. It's nice not having to double- and triple-check my bed or my towels for giant bugs or centipedes.  However, my scary bug killing skills have come in handy: my sister brought her laundry upstairs and found a weird scary silverfish that I was able to successfully kill with my spider-killin' shoe.

3. Waking up still being able to breathe. In New Mexico my nose is gross and booger-y when I wake up for some reason (yeah, I know, it's gross), but for some reason that's not really an issue here.  Lack of dry air, I suppose?

4. So fucking green.  I forgot how brown Santa Fe is until I saw all the lush greenery here in Massachusetts (and, later today, Maine).  Bananas.

I hope you all have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and leave a comment! You know you want to.