Home About Me About Us Contact Reads

Monday, March 19, 2012

Bits & Pieces from this Week

1. Despite the fact that it's been extremely unseasonably warm in Maine--like, 78 degrees warm--but today it was 35 degrees here in Santa Fe.  I'm very sad about it, frankly.  I was hoping when I moved to the southwest I'd see some warmth.  I'm excited to wear dresses again and not turn on the heat.

2. My workspace was finalized this week with the addition of an office chair. I was using one of our dining room chairs and guess what? Not an office chair. My back confirmed this for me.  I still have this giant tampon of a bandage on my finger so I wasn't much help in the construction of the office chair, but honestly I'm pretty awful at the construction of anything. Rob can attest.

3. My bandage slipped off on Monday morning and I saw my stitches.  There's a weird red tube sticking out and it's totally gross.  If you were wondering how plugged in I am, my first thought was to put it on Instagram.  I didn't, so you're welcome.

4. Today we found out that the fire season has already been...well, fiery, I guess? Hot? Whatever, shit's going down and Rob starts work in less than two weeks.  I got all anxious and nervous and kind of lashed out a bit, like I do.  I'm all nervous and annoyed and frustrated.  Having home home for the last 3+ months has been amazing but has probably spoiled me a bit.  I think it's going to be quite a transition.

5. We've been doing spider checks in our bed ever since Rob shook out a t-shirt and saw a tiny spider fall out.  Growing up, my dad used to talk about the dinner-plate sized tarantulas in New Mexico, so since we've been here I've had periodic spazzy episodes in which I become convinced that the house is being invaded by tarantulas.  I don't mind snakes--even ones that could kill me--but the idea of a tarantula crawling on me is petrifying.  We'll see how this summer goes.

6. If you follow me on the Pinterests you'll see that I've been pinning recipes like a mofo. Robbie's work schedule is such that I will have to at least start dinner before he comes home, and I'm kind of excited about the idea of being Suzy Homemaker (yes, I'm a nerd).  Any fun recipes for me?  We don't eat red meat (ethical + health reasons) or fish (Caitlin is picky and doesn't like fish reason), so chicken or vegetarian dishes are best.

Have a great week, all!

16 comments:

  1. global warming!! it will make moving back east easier on us california softened wussies lol. i don't know how that happened especially since we went to college in buffalo. sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty nuts. This morning it was in the 20s and I just felt so pissy! Grrar.

      Delete
  2. Spiders don't terrify me like they do normal people but cockroaches send me round the bend. There's no logic there - you'd think I'd have gotten used to them growing up in Louisiana. I'd kill a thousand spiders while running from one flying cockroach . . . maybe not a thousand =/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blech, I hate cockroaches...I don't think I've ever seen one in real life (living in Maine) but pictures/videos make me physically ill.

      Delete
  3. 3. What the heck was the red tube about?!
    5. Do you ever definitely see one and freak out and get ready to kill it only to realize it's actually a black t-shirt or a black bowl of fruit or a hairbrush? I do those kinds of things all the time.
    6. Ooh I'm obsessed with roasted red pepper soup, which I just made for dinner tonight! I'm not a huge meat eater so I had mine by itself and put chicken in Ryan's. Isn't playing Suzy Homemaker fun? As long as I haven't just been working in an office 40 hours a week, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3. Today they told me it was a drain. They pulled it out so now it's just the stitches!

      5. YES. I do that with my arm tattoos too, hahaha.

      6. The soup sounds yummy! Have you posted that on your blog before?

      Delete
  4. Red tube?! I WANT TO SEE THAT PICTURE!!!

    Note: I just started to tell my own stitches story, then remembered your fifth point and had to delete it. I'm just telling you this so you can admire how strong I am. Or something along those lines.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get the picture of the tube (which was a drain, I guess) but I did get one of the stitches, which I posted today! Haha and you are SO strong.

      Delete
  5. Red tube? That sounds scary.

    You might like my Pinterest food board, sounds like we eat similarly!
    http://pinterest.com/eef_ink/tasty/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told Rob that maybe it was a vein that had popped out, haha, gross.

      I'm checking out your pinterest board now! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. i kind of want to see the finger picture. i'm into stuff like that. :)


    i once had a boyfriend who grew up in colorado, and he would talk about enormous spiders like that too. i'm not scared of many critters, but spiders are definitely on the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Done and done. I'm also not scared of too many animals, but spiders kill me. It's gotten a lot worse in the last year or so.

      Delete
  7. I do t-shirt spider checks too ever since a like, 2 inch spider crawled on my tummy. (traumatizing) And scorpion checks in my shoes. Not that we have scorpions in Canada but I got in the habit in Mexico and never stopped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EUUURHGHHGH to the spider crawling on your stomach. Rob told me the other day about how he was on tower guard in Iraq, and just as he was replacing the last guy on duty that guy said "There's a camel spider in here, and I lost it." Rob said he spent the whole time trying to find the thing with night vision goggles, and said he'd see it one second and then it'd be gone. When a guy came to relieve him, he said "there's a camel spider in here, and it teleports." hahaha

      Delete
    2. Haha and telling you that story made me want to write a blog post about it, which I just did.

      Delete
  8. 35 degrees??! Holy cow, I didn't realize it would be that drastic of a change! Hope it warms up soon.

    Haha I would have thought the same thing about putting that on Instagram. I'm hooked.

    Yikessss I sure hope you don't find anymore spiders!!!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and leave a comment! You know you want to.