Home About Me About Us Contact Reads

Friday, November 11, 2011

Our Veterans Day Tradition

Happy 11/11/11 everyone!

And more importantly, happy Veterans Day.

When Rob started college in the fall of 2008, we were both shocked to learn that his school did not honor Veterans Day.  Well, more correctly, the core offices (Financial Aid, Admissions, Bursar) get the day off but students still attend classes.  We were both pretty infuriated by this especially given that the school gives the entire school a free day for Columbus Day. Seriously, Maine?

Rob decided back then to protest the fact that he had to attend class by going to class...well, inebriated.  Rob and I are only moderate drinkers and I typically don't encourage anyone to drink a lot, but dammit, I think my husband gets to do pretty much whatever he wants on Veterans Day. The funny thing is, he's managed to include a lot of other people in on this, to the point at which most of his friends--those of legal drinking age, anyway--show up to class on Veterans Day in solidarity with Rob, with Nalgene bottles full of vodka cranberries and screwdrivers. The other funny thing is that he always seems to have a test or important lab on Veterans Day, and he always manages to totally rock it and get a really high grade.

Also, as part of this tradition, I take Rob out to eat and enjoy a few drinks to, in Rob's words, "honor the people who don't get to have a drink today."

So, this year I will be celebrating Veterans Day by driving my husband to and from classes and I couldn't be happier.  However you choose to celebrate Veterans Day, please take a second today to remember the sacrifices of our veterans and if you know one, say thanks or give them a hug.

Below, I offer you my two favorite veteran-related songs, which were introduced to me some years ago by my darling husband.  Both of them can make me cry any time I listen to them, but even more so on Veterans Day.  These songs are written by Eric Bogle, and though they specifically refer to the first World War, the message is timeless.





10 comments:

  1. I didn't get Veteran's Day off at my first college, but at CSU there were no classes but the staff still had to work. I love that Rob celebrates it by being drunk...too funny and awesome :) You're a great wife for driving him around!! Happy Veteran's day to Rob and all the others :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey, he deserves to spend it any way he wants!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and @Holly you're from cleveland!! i'm from canton ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Veterans day to you too!
    oh and come check out my sexy red HOBO wallet giveaway!!!!

    colorissue.blogspot.com

    xoxo
    Aarean

    ReplyDelete
  5. hahaha....rob's tradition is pretty amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Caitlin....nice post. This is one of my favorite war-related tunes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTXhZ4uR6rs

    Have you heard it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s. I just love the lyrics. (sorry this version is a little drawn-out, but you get the idea...)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This tradition is hilarious! I love it and it totally sounds like something my Hubs would do :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, Go Rob! And a Happy Veteran's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You, of course, know that my birthday is on Veterans Day and I used to LOVE having the day off from school every year. That stopped in college. I was lucky enough to not have to go to classes on my birthday for the first few years (either it fell on a weekend or I just didn't have class that day), but I wasn't as lucky my last year. I decided to make the best of it and do something I had NEVER been able to do as a kid: bring muchkins to class for my friends ON my birthday. Let me tell you, that was a pretty fun day at school. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and leave a comment! You know you want to.