Home About Me About Us Contact Reads

Friday, September 30, 2011

10 Facts About Me

Photobucket

Here's a neat little factoid: I am a huge sucker for memes and surveys.  Always have been, always will be.  I also really like filling out forms (no lie, I got pretty excited when my dermatologist sent me new forms to fill out), so that's probably where it comes from.

Aaaanyway, I've seen this floating around here and here and here, and I'm throwing my hat into the ring.  Without further ado, 10 facts about Caitlin!

1// Many of you probably know this, but I had a tumor in my kidney when I was four.  It was removed and I had six months of chemo.  Apparently the doctors told my grandfather (a doctor himself) that my chances of making it were 50-50, but I've heard that secondhand so I cannot attest to its veracity.  I've had no problems since then with the remaining one!

2// The volume in the car has to land on an even number or a number ending in 5 or 0, which is explained in Fact #3.

3// I have synesthesia, a brain condition in which "stimulation of one sensory or cognitive pathway leads to automatic, involuntary experiences in a second sensory or cognitive pathway." For me this means that I associate personalities to numbers (even numbers usually have nicer personalities, with a few exceptions), people and words have colors, and I picture numbers in a physical location on a number line.  This is why 5s and 0s are so appealing to me, because they are strong ticks on my mental number line.  I also imagine years on a chronological timeline. I also preferred my maiden name because it was a prettier color than my married name (my maiden name is purple, new one is red and yellow). It's something I thought everyone did until I started talking about it. Apparently it's quite common.

4// I have been told that I look like Winona Ryder, Natalie Portman, Tina Fey (a total stranger came up and told me this one), and Mia Farrow.  My husband tells me that I look and act like Liz Lemon and that a lot of her manneurisms remind him of me.

5// I have never been able to drink soda.  The carbonation is physically quite painful for me and usually I can't swallow it until it's gone flat in my mouth. If I try to down it quickly my throat starts to hurt.  Sometimes my sisters make me drink a sip of soda to watch my face.

6// I think I've shared this before, but I drink beverages more like a suckling infant than an adult woman. I get made fun of pretty heavily in my house for this.

7// I love singing in the car.  If I'm in a situation where I can't sing along to the song that's playing (like if I'm with people I don't know well) I get kind of antsy.

8// I get attached to TV shows and movies.  They quickly turn into my version of "comfort food."  Nothing makes me feel "safer" than knowing I can cuddle in a bed and watch 30 Rock or Mystery Science Theater 3000...even if it's in a hotel and even if I don't end up doing it, just knowing I can do it makes me feel safe and happy (escapism what what?).

9// In my junior year of high school a bunch of us were given awards for doing well in particular sections of our state's standardized tests.  One person got an award for Math, another for science, another for English...and mine was for penmanship.  At age 16 I won $25 for having nice penmanship.  For the record my penmanship is pretty nice, but seriously?

10// If I could do any job without worrying about school/money/what have you, I would be a veterinarian.

Now I want to read 10 facts about you lovely people.  If you do this please link up!

18 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, Lady! I've been blog hopping and reading everyone's 10 facts. Such a great way to get to know someone just a tad bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm such a sucker for link ups and surveys and whatever, too :)

    I love singing in the car, too! Do it all the time.

    That's interesting about your brain condition...I've never heard of that and never really associated words or numbers with anything. But it's really interesting to read about that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am ALSO a survey girl!

    mine is really long. ;)

    http://breathingtornado.blogspot.com/2011/09/10-facts-about-karen.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. The whole synesthesia is pretty fascinating I'm going to have to do more research on that.

    Love your facts and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have some weird things in common. I am a big sucker for forms also - I like to see how close I can make my writing look to an actual font, so people think I printed it out. I cannot drink carbonated drinks either - but you are the first person to ever agree with me in saying they hurt your throat! Same here. My husband also makes fun of me for "suckling" drinks as you call it. I try to be more conscious about it when around other people, but I keep forgetting I do it. I also get very attached to tv shows - when they end, I feel like a good friend moved away and WHAT DO I DO IN THE EVENING NOW?!!! We should get together and be weird in the same place sometime. ... Coming to Europe anytime soon?

    ReplyDelete
  6. i want to know what color my name is. :) and i kind of hope i'm an even number!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha this is so cool! I had no idea something like synesthesia existed. I mean, I definitely love having the volume on even numbers (like I can't leave it at 11, that drives me nuts) but I've never associated numbers or letters with colors. So interesting! I do have the TV show attachment problem as well though. Like, I'm so invested in the shows I watch it's unreasonable. I think I may do this post on the weekend, but I'm not sure yet. In any case, you'll see it if it does go up hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I may have to do this.... :) I'll link ya up in a comment if I do!!!
    -Lauren *The Loud Whisper*

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your shirt in that top photo, Caitlin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's another fact: You have the best smile! Keep showing it off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. I also love that bird top you're wearing and would like one, too. I also love that you have issues with carbonation because I just started noticing that it HURTS to drink soda. I have an issue with odd and even numbers, too, but I'm not sure it's what you talked about in #3. I love that you want to be a vet.

    I think my novel of a comment is done. Have a lovely rest of your weekend, friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i will happily drink all of the extra soda that you have been missing out on...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did this as well, on Wednesday!!! http://lariatsandlavender.blogspot.com/2011/09/10-facts.html

    I am so addicted to soda, though I have swallowed funny and experienced that sensation that you get normally. HATE IT.

    Also, HELL YES TO NUMBER 7!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your #7 and #9! I'm constantly singing in the car too...even though I'm a really bad singer.

    Here's a link to my 10 facts:
    http://mindianna.typepad.com/mindianna/2011/10/10-facts-about-me.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Caitlin, I'm loving all your facts and getting to know you. We have number 5 in common ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a sucker too.

    Ryan @ Thismustbetheplaceryan


    I am not sure if it is because I am really into numerology or not, but I always see people as numbers.. Usually the number I match with their personality.. and it most often applies to the DAY they were born.. like.. I tend to be really close with other 6's.. so people born on the 6th, 15th and 24th (I am the 24th) I also get a long really well with multiple of 3's.. 3, 6, and 9's are the people I am closest with.
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. So I really want to know what color my name is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can drink soda, but I hate the taste of the carbonation so for as long as I can remember, I've hated the taste of soda!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and leave a comment! You know you want to.