Home About Me About Us Contact Reads

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Style (or Lack Thereof)

I've been going through a fashion identity crisis lately. Since college my fashion sense has been what I would classify as "neglectful." I don't dress in a masculine way, per se...but it's pretty clear that I don't care very much what my "style" says about me.

In reevaluating my personal style, I realized that I have a few staples that I wear almost constantly...Old Navy and NY&CO boot-cut jeans, Sambas or Chuck Taylors, and cute-but-boring tank-tops and shirts. And in the winter, let us not forget the ubiquitous hoodie sweatshirt. I have never found another clothing item that keeps me warm so consistently. Unfortunately there's absolutely no way to make it look cute. Scratch that, maybe there's a way for cuter girls than I, but I just can't pull that shit off.

So armed with this perspective, I decided to splurge and create a new wardrobe for myself, or at least a fashion foundation for this summer.

1. Prairie Dawn Dress, Forever 21


To see this dress on Forever21's website click here. I must say that Rob did not share my enthusiasm for this dress (he's not a big pink fan) I'm pretty excited to see it. I will also say that I'm not totally sure I can pull this off, but if I can, more power to me. I thought it was just the cutest dress ever. We'll see.


2. A slew of ballet flats from Endless.com and Target.com



These are from Endless.com's website (click here to see). If you've never seen Endless.com...GO NOW. Great prices on shoes AND purses, and free 2-day shipping! Anyway, I always wear sneakers of some kind with all of my outfits. In the summer, I wear flip flops, but nothing all that cute or feminine. I wore ballet flats for work for the first time and I realized just how versatile and adorable they are. So I bought a ton of them figuring I would find something that worked.


3. Lacy Graphic Tunic, Forever 21


This is another shirt (click here to see on Forever21) that I'm not positive I can pull off. My boobs are pretty small and as a result, flowy shirts and tanktops tend to look like what my husband calls "boob curtains."


4. Skinny Jeans from New York and Company


To see these on NY&CO click here. Buying jeans has always been a battle for me - I have a proportionately huge ass and huge hips, coupled with what I see as short, stubby legs. As a result my jeans usually fit in the ass and hips, but go down about 3 inches past the bottom of my foot. I've found a few companies that make a decent short-girl ghetto-booty pair of jeans and NY&CO is one of those. However, due to my ass's largesse, I am still not sure I can pull off this whole "skinny jean" thing. I have a little bit of a fear that my bottom half will look like upside-down triangle.


Any other awesome stores I should be looking at?

2 comments:

  1. this made me smile. especially the jean part lol. I know how you feel, I have SUPER short legs for my body. It's horrible.

    I would try Kohls, do they have that there? I always get some GREAT tops from ELLE, they have an online store for Kohls if you want to buy the tops online. Much of my new "adult" working/casual wardrobe comes from Kohls and the APT9 and ELLE brand.

    I love the flats, jeans, and tops - very cute, yet mid-20's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Gup! nice post- I could see you wearing clothes from Modcloth.com. They remind me a lot of that first dress you posted- be cautious of the fact that many things modcloth has online as stylish- are not so. But they can be fun to sort through and they have a lot of dressy work clothes. Also, many things girls tend to review fit their 34 D boobs, which I didn't realize so many girls had- but apparently do- unlike us! :)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead and leave a comment! You know you want to.